Really Sciency

Visit my other blog 'Really Sciency' looking at Climate Science and its portrayal, misrepresentation and denial in the media.

Sunday 5 December 2010

Harry Potter Burnt at the Stake by the Witch Finder General

I'm hoping to take my kids to the latest instalment of the Harry Potter, film series. The books have been around our house for years.
And for years now religious nutjobs have been banning and burning them. I accept that parents have a responsibility to ensure what their children see and read are appropriate so should restrict their children's reading and viewing but banning and burning books is medieval censorship.

This successful series of challenging children's / adult books has brought so many to reading and literacy that in my book, if you excuse the pun, it can only be a good thing. But there seems to be a growing trend of children's fiction being deemed evil because of the challenging themes, Now with the Potter series coming to a close I do hope that authors will continue to publish books that challenge young minds and hope that parents encourage their reading and discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment